RNLI shuts down website after reporting “suspicious activity”

0

The RNLI shut down its website as a precaution after the charity said it was the victim of “suspicious activity.”

The website was changed to a landing page that read, “Our website is currently unavailable. “

An RNLI spokesperson told the PA News Agency: “The RNLI website was the subject of suspicious activity today, Friday, December 3, 2021.

“As a precautionary measure, the RNLI made the decision to shut down its website while investigating the activity. We are sorry for the inconvenience caused and are working to resolve the situation as quickly as possible.

Screenshot of the RNLI home page (RNLI)

The RNLI also said it reported “threat emails” it received to police.

“The RNLI took this opportunity to remind its staff and volunteers to remain vigilant for the safety of themselves, their colleagues and the systems of the RNLI.

“We are focused on our primary goal of saving lives at sea and our 24/7 rescue service remains fully operational. “

The news comes after far-right organization Britain First encouraged its members to complain to the charity over its rescues of people crossing the Channel, although PA understands that the RNLI’s decision to take down the site Web is not linked to the email campaign.

The group said online: “Britain First has launched a campaign of complaints to pressure the RNLI to drop its support for illegal immigration and human trafficking and instead focus on rescuing British lives along our coastal areas. “

Rescue of migrants from lifeboat crews
Far-right organization Britain First has encouraged supporters to contact RNLI chief executive Mark Dowie (Ben Birchall / PA)

A link shared with his Telegram channel claims to allow users to send one of three pre-written messages to RNLI chief executive Mark Dowie.

The group says more than 3,000 emails have been sent so far.


Source link

Share.

Comments are closed.